Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Ghostly Graphic Novel (don't worry...it's not scary)

I love ghost stories. I love stories of haunted houses, spooky encounters, and ghostly meetings. When I saw a book with “ghost” in the title, I requested it from the library without even reading a single review. Because of this, I had no expectations and this graphic novel certainly exceeded any that I did have.

Anya is the epitome of misunderstood; her mother wants to fatten her up with traditional Russian cuisine, her best and only friend makes fun of her crushes, and school is far from being a cake walk. One day, while on her way to school, she falls into a well where she meets a friendly ghost. Emily, the ghost, has been trapped in the well for 90 years and can’t wait to escape with Anya. The two become fast friends until Emily’s guidance takes a nasty turn. Anya must uncover Emily’s past before Anya’s future is jeopardized.
But not as friendly as this "friendly" ghost


This graphic novel has very few flaws. The illustrations are in grays, blacks, purples, and whites which become progressively oppressive as the story becomes darker. Anya is a very relate-able character as she is your typical fish out of water teen. I think teen readers will sympathize with Anya and when Emily starts to improve Anya’s life, readers may even be envious that they don’t have a ghostly pal. However, a dark twist occurs that causes Anya to give thanks for her typical teenage life. Thus causing the reader to do the same. I found the investigations into Emily’s past to be the most interesting aspect of the graphic novel. Overall, this graphic novel teaches a good lesson while remaining interesting and a bit eerie.

2 comments:

  1. This one has been on my radar for awhile. I'd love to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words! I would definitely take a chance on this graphic novel. The illustrations alone are worth your time

      Delete