Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sh*t My Dad Says: Even Funnier When Heard

When I was driving across the country this summer, I tried to find audiobooks that would make me laugh and keep me awake. I took a chance on this book because I had heard some of Halpern’s one liners and they made me giggle. After reading the back, it didn’t sound like there was much to this book but I hoped that at least it would keep a smile on my face. Fortunately, Halpern far surpassed my expectations!

As I am sure everyone knows by now, the book is based on Halpern’s tweets regarding his father. He reached over a million followers on Twitter and decided to take his cyper writing to the published page. In addition to his father’s quips, Justin also tells about how he found himself living in his parents’ house at the age of 28. Though Justin’s father is gruff, he clearly has great love for his son.

What is so refreshing about this memoir is that it’s not your typical memoir. Recently, memoirs have been very “in” but typically focus on drug addicted, alcoholic, quasi-celebrities who turn their lives around and make good. Halpern’s is a breath of fresh air!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your blog via the Frugal WV blog...so glad I did! I LOVE the Sh*t My Dad Says book, so seeing that at first glance is awesome. I'm just getting back into reading again (I've been a teacher for the past few years and my job and grad school sucked away my soul), so your site is a great resource!
    Follow me if you'd like! I blog about nutrition, health, random crap, and craziness with my toddler.
    Looking forward to your literary addiction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog via BSN and it seems like a great one. I've never read Sh*t My Dad Says but I've heard it's really good so I'll have to give it a try real soon! Have a great day!

    Adria
    http://looking-for-a-breath-of-life.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete